Conference Dates / Location
- Dates: August 12-15, 2024
- Location: Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (UNAM), Mexico City, Mexico
- Individuals: $100.00 USD All Access
- Students: $60.00 USD All Access
- Institutional Members: Institutional Members have 10 free conference registrations. If you are a member of these organizations, please contact them to inquire about this benefit: https://associationforiranianstudies.org/membership/ais-institutional-members
- Please come to the Registration Desk with Current AIS Membership as it is required in order to attend the conference.
- If a member is not on the program a registration payment is required at the registration desk.
- IMPORTANT: ALL PAYMENTS at the registration desk in Mexico city are in CASH-USD only. For your convenience, please update your membership and pay for registration before coming to the conference.
- Onsite registration (in Mexico City) is for those who couldn't present their papers or are not on the program. Also for special cases, e.g. Iranian scholars who cannot pay online; participants who don't present but attend.
- Moises Garduño Garcia, Facultad de Ciencias Políticas y Sociales (UNAM)
- Shekoufeh Mohammadi Shirmahaleh, Instituto de Investigaciones Filológicas (UNAM)
Miguel Ángel Andrés Toledo, Moisés Garduño Garcia, James Gustafson, Firoozeh Kashani-Sabet, Shekoufeh Mohammadi Shirmahaleh, Amir Moosavi, Rivanne Sandler, Nahid Siamdoust
The Association for Iranian Studies (AIS) is pleased to announce that the Fourteenth Biennial Iranian Studies Conference will be held at the National Autonomous University of Mexico (Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México) in Mexico City. The conference team will be headed by Professor Moisés Garduño García of the Facultad de Ciencias Políticas y Sociales and Professor Shekoufeh Mohammadi of the Instituto de Investigaciones Filológicas.
- The conference venue is at the National Autonomous University of Mexico (Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México) in Mexico City
- For information about the National Autonomous University of Mexico: https://www.unam.mx/
- For information about Mexico City, Mexico: https://mexicocity.cdmx.gob.mx/
About Mexico City and UNAM
Mexico City stands out as a multi-cultural metropolis with a complex network of social relations. Considered the capital of culture in Iberoamerica and one of the most populated cities in the world, Mexico City offers multiple cultural experiences concentrated in museums, festivals, and cultural centers. Similarly, the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM) is regarded as the most important educational institution not only in the city, but also in the entire country. This University, drawing on its convening capacity, will be pleased to welcome scholars and specialists in the field of Iranian Studies to participate in the Fourteenth Biennial Iranian Studies Conference, to be held at the Facultad de Ciencias Politicas y Sociales and the Instituto de Investigaciones Filológicas of UNAM, in collaboration with the Museo Nacional de las Culturas del Mundo, which displays some Iranian artefacts from different historical periods that have been donated by specialists and private collectors.
Call for Papers
The Association for Iranian Studies (AIS) and The National Autonomous University of Mexico (Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, UNAM), through the Facultad de Ciencias Políticas y Sociales, Instituto de Investigaciones Filológicas and Programa Universitario de Asia y África, in collaboration with the Museo Nacional de las Culturas del Mundo, invites proposals in all subfields of Iranian Studies for the 14th Biennial Conference of AIS to be held in Mexico City from August 12th, 2024 to August 15th, 2024. AIS encourages works grounded in the social sciences and humanities, which probe new scholarly approaches to Iranian Studies, broadly defined. AIS also welcomes submissions on all aspects of Iran’s historical borderlands, including Turkic-Iranian history and culture, Kurdish spaces, the Persianate world, and the Iranian diaspora. The primary language of the conference will be English, and scholars are strongly encouraged to use that language. However, proposals for papers in Persian and Spanish will be considered as well.
Paper proposals must be limited to 300 words and must present succinct scholarly outlines of the central themes, sources, and main arguments of the presentations.
Following previous conferences, prearranged panels are strongly encouraged. Ordinarily, three to four papers are presented on each panel. Scholars and colleagues wishing to submit a proposal for a pre-arranged panel should complete the appropriate panel registration form online. We request further that participants remain mindful of the Association’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion (https://associationforiranianstudies.org/about), especially when proposing panels.
The completed paper and panel proposal forms must be submitted electronically through the AIS website. The forms for both paper and panel proposals can be accessed on the AIS website (for instructions on how to submit, please visit here). Membership and preregistration are prerequisites for submission and participation.
To become a member of AIS and to register, please click here: https://associationforiranianstudies.org/membership.
For further information or any questions, please contact: Biennial24@associationforiranianstudies.org
Individual paper proposals should include a brief bio of the presenter (a paragraph of no more than 150 words), and an abstract of the paper limited to a paragraph of no more than 300 words, outlining the central themes, sources, and main argument of the presentation.
Convenors of pre-organized panels should also submit a personal bio and a short panel proposal detailing the main theme of the panel, and indicating how the individual presentations relate to that subject. The format and word count remain the same as those for independent paper proposals. Panel members must submit their own bios and abstracts individually, which follow the format of the independent paper proposal, but also include the title of the panel.
Participants can only present a paper on one panel and serve as a chair or discussant on a second panel.
The submission process will open on July 1st, 2023 and will continue until September 30th, 2023. Detailed step-by-step guidelines on how to submit proposals will be posted on the AIS website when the submissions webpage opens.
Pre-arranged panels and independent paper proposals undergo a peer-review process by a Program Committee of scholars, whose names and academic affiliations will be published on the AIS website after the closing of the submissions process. All applicants will be notified of the status of their proposals in December of 2023, so that the approved candidates will have sufficient time to arrange funding through their institutions, and to apply (if necessary) for Mexican entry visas.
Website technical problems email@example.com
General inquiries firstname.lastname@example.org
For all inquiries in regard to the conference logistics contact the program chair at Biennial24@associationforiranianstudies.org